St Mary the Virgin - Ambleside
Scott built a new church here for the rector, the Rev. Samuel Irton Fell, between 1850-4. It is in Second Pointed style in slate with stone dressings and has a sandstone south-east steeple with a broach spire. It was one of the first churches in the North to incorporate ideas from the Oxford Movement, but has been criticised for not fitting in with north country style architecture, especially the unusual use of a steeple.
St Kentigern's - Crosthwaite
The most distant of all Scott's work during the early 1840s was the restoration of St. Kentigern's church, at Great Crosthwaite, near Keswick in Cumberland. Work
started in 1844 and was completed in 1845 with the new south porch, renewed roofs, reflooring, refurnishing and a new east window. He had visited the church
before restoration and sketched it in the sketch book that he used between 1843 and 1844. A plaque on the north side of the south chancel aisle notes that the
restoration was possible due to a faculty raised which also went towards a monument completed in 1846 to the poet Robert Southey, who was buried in the churchyard.