Workhouse - Billericay
The Tudor H plan design by Scott and Moffatt was approved in 1839 and contruction commenced the following year. It is built from red brick with stone
dressings and initially cost £5500, but required another £1100 to complete it. In the twentieth century it was a hospital until its closure in
1998, when it has since been redeveloped for residential use.
St Martin's, West Stockwell Street - Colchester
Scott was apparently ‘so taken with [the church]’, that in 1876 he revealed and restored the barrel vaulted chancel roof at his own expense. The
church was built from re-used Roman bricks, though it is now redundant.
St Nicholas's - Colchester
Between 1875-6, Scott carried out a considerable restoration and enlargement to the church. The north aisle, nave, chancel, north transept, and part
of the tower were retained, the nave and chancel becoming the north aisle of the Victorian church and the north aisle being converted to a parish
room. The tower was rebuilt and a leaden spire added, the gift of G. H. Errington of Lexden Park, the highest spire in Colchester. A new nave,
chancel, vestry, organ chamber, and south aisle were built, financed by voluntary subscriptions, against the old church onto the south and east walls.
Scott’s accounts show fees of £420 were charged for his work. The church was demolished in 1955 and replaced with a department store. Made in
1893 to Scott’s earlier designs, the octagonal pulpit of Portland and Caen stone, with alabaster panels separated by marble shafts, was then
moved to St Barnabas’s Church, Colchester.
St Mary's - Corringham
Scott completed a restoration here between 1843-4, the church having fallen into a state of disrepair. Along with making the structure sound,
involving the church’s closure for year, he also provided a new east chancel window and a south porch.
St John the Baptist - Danbury
The Bishops of Rochester lived at Danbury, where Scott restored and enlarged the church in 1866-7. This included rebuilding the south aisle and
chancel chapel and adding a north porch. An interior false roof was removed and older features of the church revealed and restored, for example,
the Fifteenth century benches. These were used as templates for making new benches, and a new pulpit was also provided. John Chapple was his
clerk of works. Thomas Legh Claughton became the Bishop of Rochester in April 1867 but when he became the first Bishop of St. Albans in 1877,
he stayed on at Danbury, the next Bishop of Rochester having to find a new residence.
All Saints - Feering
This church was restored by Scott between 1844-9 and included a new chancel arch copying the original of circa 1200, a new south doorway and north vestry.
He restored the old pulpit incorporating old woodwork into the design. He may also have had a hand in the design of the school and vicarage in
the same village.
Workhouse, Chelmsford Road - Great Dunmow
This workhouse, for 350 inmates, was authorised in 1838 and then built to a Jacobean style Scott and Moffatt plan during the two following years. Constructed
of red brick with yellow brick dressings, it is symmetrical with a four storied central block for the Master’s quarters, and three storey wings on
either side. The contractor was William Child and it cost nearly £9000 to complete. It is now in residential use.
Holy Trinity - Halstead
This was a Commissioner’s Church, built between 1843-4 with Moffatt. It had 199 pews and 504 free seats and cost £5000, of which £3000 was given by
Mrs. Gee, of Earl's Colne, and the rest by many smaller contributors. It is in Early English lancet style with a south-west steeple and broach
spire of 174 feet which had collapsed as it was nearing completion in 1844 and was therefore rebuilt. The benefice was a perpetual curacy, endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Scott added an organ chamber later in 1876.
St James's, Greenstead Green - Halstead
The church was built by Scott between 1844-5 in a Decorated style, the exterior in coursed flint with stone dressings, with a brick octagonal tower with a spire.
The interior is fitted with open seats, the stone pulpit with small figures of Christ and the four Evangelists in niches on the sides. The
patron was again Mrs. Gee, of Earl's Colne. The benefice was a perpetual curacy, endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
St James's Vicarage - Halstead
At the same time, Scott built this on the north side of the church, similarly in coursed flint with stone dressings and under the patronage of Mrs.
Gee, of Earl's Colne. It is now a private home.
School - Halstead
The school completed the trio of buildings in 1845, with the same patron Mrs. Gee, of Earl's Colne, and the same building style. This too is now a
St Peter's Church screen - South Weald
Between 1877-8, Scott designed a screen for the north side of the chancel, dividing the chancel and south chapel, at the expense of C. F. H. Tower of
How Hatch, Brentwood. It was manufactured by Skidmore for £280.
St Albright's - Stanway
Scott planned this church restoration which included a new chancel, south aisle, south chancel chapel, belfry and north porch as well as the western gallery being
removed. However, it was undertaken by his son, John Oldrid, in 1878-80, after his father’s death.
Workhouse - Tendring
This was designed and built between 1836-9 to a Scott and Moffatt plan in a Classical style. It was to house 300 inmates and cost around £12000.
The brick entrance block has a pedimental gatehouse. It became offices and a residential home before becoming disused.
St Nicholas's Church window - Witham
In 1850, Scott designed a window in Henry Greeen Mortimer's memory for his home church at Witham. Mortimer had been Scott’s Clerk of Works at St
Nicholas, Hamburg, which Scott was then working on. He had been killed in a fall from the scaffolding of that building in 1849. The window was
made by Wailes and positioned in the west side of the church.
Workhouse - Witham
This was built between 1837-9 to a Scott and Moffatt plan in a Classical style to house 300 inmates. It includes a polygonal central block of four
stories with three storey wings and an arched gateway. It has recently been redeveloped for residential use.