St John the Baptist's - Aconbury
Scott ‘sensitively’ restored the single cell church with western bellcote in 1863. This included restoration of the west window. Chick of Hereford
was his clerk of works on the project who also worked with him at Hereford as the Fabric Surveyor of Hereford Cathedral.
St James's - Cradley
Between 1868-74, Scott carried out some major work at this church for the rector the Rev. Renn Hampden. In 1868, he added a chancel with a new oak
roof and chancel arch, following the plain design of the old building and built by Collins of Tewkesbury at a cost of £2286. A north aisle was
added and the nave was restored by Perkins from Worcester in 1869 and then the rest of the building was restored and refitted including
re-seating it under the supervision of Perkins.
Eastnor Rectory - Eastnor
On 16 April 1851, a few days before the opening of the Great Exhibition, Scott was in Herefordshire. When the Scotts moved into 20 Spring Gardens,
at the end of 1838, they found themselves close neighbours of the private bank of Cocks Biddulph and Company. The bank occupied the house next
door to them with it main office in Charing Cross, immediately behind. Records show that by September 1840, Scott was a customer and continued
to bank there for the rest of his life. During this time the bank acquired considerable status as the bankers for the Prince of Wales, and later when
he became King Edward VII. John Oldrid Scott and Dukinfield were also customers.
The bank was formed in the late eighteenth century in London by a partnership between the Cocks family of Eastnor Castle and their neighbours, the
Biddulphs of Ledbury Park. The Cocks’s had huge estates in Herefordshire and Worcestershire. In 1848 Scott surveyed the church at Eastnor,
which contains the tombs of Lord Somers’ ancestors and made preparations to build a new rectory. This was carried out between 1849 and 1850
and is a large and asymmetrical house.
St John the Baptist's - Eastnor
In 1851 he was commissioned to restore the church. Nearby Eastnor Castle had been rebuilt in 1812 by
Smirke in the Norman style and Pugin had sumptuously refitted the drawing room in 1849, with painting and furniture by Crace and a spectacular
chandelier by Hardman. It seems strange that Lord Somers should have displaced Pugin by Scott, except that, by now, Scott had a considerable
reputation as a church restorer and Pugin had none in that field and was a Roman Catholic. However, even by Scott’s own standards, this must
have been a ‘destructive’ restoration. Today it is a Victorian village church, with only a Norman doorway, a thirteenth-century north arcade
and a fourteenth- century west tower as the reminders of its past. The rest of the church was rebuilt in the Middle Pointed style although he
adhered to his principle of acknowledging local designs with a liberal use of ballflower decoration. His use of colourful and contrasting
materials, presumably inspired by his travels abroad, particularly Italy, was to develop into one of the features of Scott's High Victorian
style. The east window was designed by Kempe. He also designed the plate, including the chalice and cover paten in 1853, for the church
which re-opened for services in 1852.
Memorial to 2nd Earl Somers - Eastnor
Shortly after the church was reopened in 1852, the 2nd Earl Somers died and in 1855 Scott was commissioned to design his memorial in the family chapel of the church. This is an
elaborately carved table-tomb which he placed under a ball-flowered arch at the east end of the chapel.
Eastnor Castle - Eastnor
In January 1859 Scott surveyed the Great Hall of the castle for the third Earl, and produced a preliminary design for its alteration, but this work
was subsequently carried out to the designs of the obscure George E. Fox. Although Scott continued to bank with Cocks Biddulph, and in 1870
it granted him a loan of £1,500, there is no record of him carrying out any further work for the families.
St Mary's - Edvin Loach
Scott built the sandstone church between 1858-60 for Edmund Higginson of Saltmarshe Castle. It was close to the ruins of the old church which had
Saxon origins. It is in his favourite Early English style with a broach spire, western tower with columns supporting the tower internally and
polygonal apse. The fittings included a plain octagonal font and plain stone polygonal pulpit with one marble shaft.
Hereford Cathedral - Hereford
In 1856, the same year that Scott was commissioned to make his first report on St. Albans Abbey, he also became involved in the restoration of
Hereford Cathedral. This again was due to the death of N. J. Cottingham who had been restoring the cathedral during his father's long illness
and subsequent death. Perhaps Scott's involvement with the Cocks and Biddulph families at Eastnor and Ledbury, both in the Diocese of Hereford,
had helped his appointment. However the Dean of Hereford, Dr. Richard Dawes (1793-1867) was also a mathematician, and had been an undergraduate
at Trinity College, Cambridge, when Peacock was a lecturer in mathematics there. Scott described him as ‘My dear friend Dean Dawes’. In
1786, the fourteenth century west tower crashed down destroying a part of the nave and James Wyatt was called in by the Dean and Chapter to
rebuild their shattered cathedral. Scott commented that ‘The nave had been wretchedly dealt with by Wyatt’, who also strengthened the central
tower by inserting pillars across the transepts and removing the spire.
Scott inserted a new screen under the eastern tower arch which, advancing on the ideas that he had first used at Ely, was even more transparent by
making it from metal rather than timber. It was built by Skidmore of Coventry in brass, copper and iron. As Scott remarks:
Mr Skidmore was anxious to have some great work in the Exhibition of '62 & offered to make the Screen at a very low price I designed it on a
somewhat massive scale thinking that it would go better with the heavy architecture of the choir Skidmore followed My design but somewhat
aberrantly. It is a fine work but too "loud" and self-asserting for an English church.
The exhibition was intended to be a repeat of the Great Exhibition of 1851, but the death of Prince Albert, in the previous December, cast a blight
on the whole affair. The mourning Queen sent her cousin, the Duke of Cambridge, to represent her at the opening ceremony on 1 May 1862.
Skidmore’s screen was duly displayed at the exhibition, before it was finally installed at Hereford. It is described by Pevsner as a ‘High
Victorian monument of the first order’, but it did not appeal to recent tastes and it was taken down in the 1970's and has now been
re-erected in the Victorian and Albert Museum. It was the first of several open-work screens made by Skidmore to Scott's designs, and it was
followed by those for Lichfield, Salisbury and Worcester Cathedrals.
Scott also restored the exterior stonework of Hereford Cathedral, ‘with the least possible displacement of old stone’. Ruddle and Thompson of
Peterborough were the builders and his Clerk of Works was William Chick, the Fabric Surveyor of the Cathedral, who also acted for him on other
smaller restorations around Hereford. His other restoration work included a new east wall to the Lady Chapel; replacing the side pinnacles in the
Lady Chapel; an east wheel window with arcaded niche and almond shape; restoring the circular windows in the east triforium of the north
transept; and he moved monuments back to their original positions. The chancel tile pavement was made by William Godwin of Lugwardine and the west
transept decorated by Octavius Hudson. He also restored the dismantle stallwork and rearranged the choir with gates to the north and south
transepts made by Skidmore in 1864.
In 1867 Dean Dawes died, and Scott designed him a fine alabaster tomb-chest for the north-east transept of the cathedral with a marble effigy of the
Dean by Matthew Noble on the top.
Wyatt's feeble west front survived until 1902 when John Oldrid Scott produced the present highly ornate design, which was completed in 1908.
All Saints - Hereford
Scott designed the plans for this church restoration in 1875 but the work on the nave and north aisle was actually carried out by his son John Oldrid in
1892-4, and in 1902-3 on the chancel and south aisle.
St Michael and All Angel's font - Ledbury
Possibly through his Biddulph connections and simultaneous work at nearby Eastnor, in 1850 Scott designed a new font for the church, with green marble columns, to replace a seventeenth century one which had gone missing at the end
of the eighteenth century. The older one was rediscovered,
broken up and buried beneath where the new font was to be positioned.
Priory Church of St Peter and St Paul - Leominster
Scott first reported on this church in 1863 and carried out work on the nave between 1864-6.
Priory Church of St Peter and St Paul, part II - Leominster
Scott carried out further work at this church on the south nave and aisle
between 1876-9, rebuilding columns between the south nave and south aisle and the east wall, with a new nave arcade of quatrefoil piers
replacing columns dating from 1699. Edwards was the contractor in 1876.
St Peter's - Peterstow
This church restoration was completed by Scott between 1865-6, for the Rev Dr John Jebb, the rector, at a cost of £1200. His clerk of works was Chick of
Hereford and the builder Coleman of Claxhill. Walls were straightened, floors underpinned, heating installed by Haden, a new vestry was built
on the north side, an oak porch on the south side, a new window in the south side and a panelled ceiling was placed in the chancel. The local
Godwin tiles were used in the nave and chancel plus the church was given a new roof and new pews. Archdeacon Denison attended the re-opening
St James's - Tedstone Delamere
Scott completed this church restoration between 1856-7 for the former rector, the Rev I Smith. His work included a new chancel, new west window and an east
window by Hardman, paid for by James Lane Wright, new floor tiles and much carving throughout, particularly in oak. New fittings included a
font and pulpit both in stone with granite shafts, choir stalls and nave seating. The old font was kept alongside the new one.
St John the Baptist's - Upton Bishop
In 1861-2 Scott restored and enlarged this church so that it could accommodate at least 329 people, the church receiving a £50 grant from the ISBC
(incorporated church building society) for this purpose. William Chick was once more clerk of works. Other work included new roofing and new
floors with tiles by Godwin, opening up the lancets in the west wall and new fittings. These included brass communion rails and a candelabra
in the sanctuary.
St Leonard's - Yarpole
Scott restored this church for the Dunne family in around 1864, including a new chancel and north aisle, the south porch was rebuilt and a general
restoration of the interior and fittings was undertaken. The detached bell tower was not touched by Scott.