All Saints - Asfordby
The chancel here was restored by Scott in 1866-7 and remainder of the church from 1868-9.
Monument to the Countess of Loundon - Ashby-de-la-Zouch
This monument was designed in 1877 for Olney Hastings, in the style of an Eleanor Cross, when fees of £177 were paid to Scott. It was unveiled, after
his death, in 1879.
St Peter's - Belgrave
Scott carried out some restoration work at this church in 1877-8 after a restoration by Ewan Christian in 1857 and 1860.
St James the Greater - Birstall
This church restoration was carried out with his son George Gilbert in 1868-9. They completely remodelled the nave, added a new north arcade, a new
nave roof, a new chancel aisle and refitted it including new seats, altar, a stone and marble pulpit and a vestry screen.
St John the Baptist - Croxton Kerrial
Scott carried out a church restoration here in 1866-8. This included re-roofing the church, removing the gallery so that an organ could be used, and refitting and reseating the church using the old fifteenth century bench ends.
St Andrew's, Jarrom Street - Leicester
This church was built by Scott in 1860-2 from patterned red brick and vitrified headers. It consists of an aisle-less nave with a wagon roof and
a bellcote. As Pevsner says, the use of brick polychromy is ‘proof of the influence of Butterfield on Scott at that moment’, one of only
four churches where he uses it. He also designed the associated vicarage.
St John the Divine's, Ashwell and South Albion Sts - Leicester
This was a Commissioner Church, built at a cost of £6619, between 1852-4. It had 460 pews and 540 free seats. The builders were Broadbent and
Hawley and it has a north-east tower, originally with a spire, geometric tracery and was an early example of ‘constructional polychromy’.
Pevsner says the ‘interior [is] of no interest’. It was converted into flats in the late 1980s.
St Margaret's, St Margaret's Street - Leicester
Scott undertook a restoration here in 1860 when the chancel arch was taken down and rebuilt. Parts of the outer wall of the church were
refaced at the same time, the window arches and jambs renewed and new tracery inserted. He also designed the east windows of both aisles
to replace those inserted by William Firmadge in the early nineteenth century. The new windows were inserted in 1864.
St Mary de Castro, Castle Yard - Leicester
James Mitchell initially undertook the restoration of this church in 1844 but by the 1850s he had been replaced by Scott who continued the
restoration and alterations until completed in 1861. The south nave arcade was inserted to replace a large brick arch which had carried
the east portion of the clerestory since 1780. The arch had been declared unsafe and Scott, calling it ‘the great blot’, replaced it with
three large Gothic arches. He also rebuilt the north arcade and clerestory in 1859 in the Early English style matching that on the
opposite side. The north chapel is dedicated to St. Anne and was built in 1861 by Scott for the Noble family, the owners of Danet's Hall.
He also renewed tracery in all the windows, added the south porch, repaired the roof and added four pinnacles and battlements to the
tower. Both he and Mitchell replaced the box pews with Victorian ones, using surviving medieval parts where possible.
St Matthew's, Montreal Road, Taylor Street - Leicester
This church was built by Scott in 1865-7 in thirteenth century style out of Mountsorrel granite with red brick window surrounds and buttresses.
It was a hall church with nave, aisles, chancel and tall lancets. The original planned tower was never built and it was demolished in
St Saviour's, St Saviour's Road - Leicester
This church was built by Scott between 1875-7 ‘by the munificence of Rev. F. G. Burnaby’ to seat around one thousand people. It is built from brick,
both exterior and interior, and has a Norman front, the rest in Early English style. It is currently redundant and has been placed on the
open market for sale, although its future use is presently undetermined.
All Saints - Loughborough
Between 1860-3 Scott restored this church, including adding the south aisle and enlarging the east window as well as replacing the other windows.
He removed the galleries and re-seated the church, opened the tower arch as well as carrying out repairs to the roof and general repairs
to the building. The church was reopened in 1862 although work on the tower was not completed until the following year.
Workhouse, Derby Road - Loughborough
This was a classical style workhouse designed with Moffatt using their standard plan and built between 1837-8. It had a taller pedimented
centre of four stories with three storey wings and an Italianate bell-turret, and was to house 350 inmates. The contractor was Myers of
Hull and Wilson. The costing was £5647 with the original contract, although this rose to £6550 on completion. It was demolished in
St Mary's - Lutterworth
In the winter of 1865 the roof of the nave became so unsafe that it was found necessary to close the church. Upon examination it was discovered
that the unscientific manner in which galleries had been inserted had thrust the walls from the perpendicular, and pillars and arches had
been 'injured’. Scott was called in to carry out a survey and estimated the repairs would cost £7000. Subscriptions were raised and Scott
carried out his restoration between 1867-9. This included restoring the chancel windows, straightening the north wall, re-discovering the
lancet window in the chancel, extending the north aisle the length of the chancel, repositioning the Wycliffe Memorial, removing galleries
from the side aisles and under the tower and re-discovering and re-painting the two wall paintings and other decorations. A vestry was also
added and the roofs were renewed, as well as general repairs to the building fabric.
Workhouse, Woodmarket Road - Lutterworth
The Scott and Moffatt standard plan was approved in 1838 and built between 1839-40. It cost £5,000 and could accommodate 200 inmates. It was
demolished in around 1970.
St Mary's east window - Melton Mowbray
Scott restored the east window of this church in 1856.
St Mary's - Melton Mowbray
Scott restored this church over the course of several years. He restored the east window in 1856, the nave, transepts and aisles between 1865-9,
possibly as he knew the then vicar, the Rev. W. M. Colles, with whom he shared an interest in archaeology. He continued to be involved with
the church working on the west porch in 1872 and in 1875 he reported that the upper windows of the tower were unsafe, his practice carrying
out further work there in 1878.
St Mary's west porch - Melton Mowbray
Scott worked on the west porch of the church in 1872.
St Mary's tower survey - Melton Mowbray
In 1875, Scott reported that the upper windows of the tower of the church were unsafe, his practice carrying
out further work there in 1878.
All Saints - Theddington
This church was restored by Scott in 1858 when he altered the east chancel wall, added a north porch and re-roofed it including the high pitched
roof of the chancel. He provided new fittings and a decorative painted scheme to the chancel roof. The tower space is also painted, the
decorative scheme continuing through to the tiled floors and the furnishings, including the tall wood font canopy, the marble pulpit said
to have come from Venice, the sedilia, altar, reredos, low marble chancel screen and the pews. The new chancel east window is in a medieval
style. Copies of Scott's specification and a subscription list raising £1,907, both dated 1856, are in the parish records.
St Mary Magdalene - Waltham-on-the-Wolds
This was Scott’s first Leicestershire church restoration and refitting in 1850-3, which was carried out for the Rev. G. E. Gillet. He extended the
nave, rebuilt the north aisle and north wall, repaired the roofs, removed the gallery, re-seated the nave and painted texts over the nave
and tower arches.