1. 01. Family
  2. 02. Chronology
  3. 03. Gazetteer
  4. 04. Styles
  5. 05. People
  6. 06. Search
  7. 07. About this site
  8. 08. Contact


St Bartholomew's - Aldbourne

In 1853, Scott almost entirely rebuilt the church, except for part of the chancel, in flint with a bell turret, incorporating Norman windows and other Norman parts. The cost was defrayed by the Rev. J. Goring.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18447, Kelly's Directory, Sussex (1855).
West Sussex Record Office, Ep. II/26/4, pp. 223-6.



St Nicholas's - Arundel

Scott restored this church in 1873-4, at a cost of £7,500 financed by public subscription, the two largest contributors being the dowager marchioness of Bath and Lord Leconfield. The church could sit 700 people and one third of the seats were free. A particular impetus was the need to counter the triumphalism expressed in the building of the new Roman Catholic church. The pews and galleries were removed, the medieval pulpit, then used as a pew, was restored to its proper purpose, the organ was moved from the east end to the north transept, though part of its loft remained in situ until 1977, and a new sanctuary surrounded by a low wall was laid out under the crossing and part of the nave, with an altar, reredos, choir and clergy stalls. A new wall was constructed between the church and Fitzalan Chapel.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22937



Boxgrove Priory Church - Boxgrove

It was, no doubt, because the Duke of Richmond was so pleased with what Scott was doing at Chichester, that in 1864, as patron of the living of Boxgrove Priory, he commissioned Scott to take over the restoration of the Priory which is close to Goodwood. Again Scott succeeded another friend, William White, who had been his former assistant and a supporter in the delegation to Palmerston, but White was establishing a reputation for new churches rather than restorations and Boxgrove had some awkward structural problems. It is only a fragment of the pre-reformation church but Scott was so impressed with the design of the chancel arcades, with their pairs of arches grouped under large semi-circular arches, that twelve years later he reproduced this feature in Fulney Church, near Spalding in Lincolnshire. For the restoration of Boxgrove, Scott employed John Chapple as his Clerk of Works for the first time. Scott was no doubt impressed with Chapple's engineering background, having worked for Brunel, particularly as one of his main tasks was to straighten a leaning wall and rebuild flying buttresses. Scott also provided a new west wall, a timber pulpit and re-flooring. Boxgrove was the type of restoration that Scott could have enjoyed inspecting while the exacting work was going on at Chichester.

Fisher, G., Stamp, G. and Heseltine, J., (eds), The Scott Family, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects (Avebury Publishing, Amersham, 1981), 22.
Highnett, H. W. G., Boxgrove Priory (Beric Tempest and Co. Ltd, St Ives, 1979), p. 16.
Cole, D., The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott (The Architectural Press, London, 1980), pp. 134, 160.
Hertfordshire Advertiser, 12 February 1887, p. 5.
Beckett, Sir E., Bart., St Alban’s Cathedral and its Restoration (Randall, St Alban’s, 1885), p. 41.



Boxgrove Priory Church reredos - Boxgrove

Two years after his main restoration of the church was completed in 1865, Scott replaced White's reredos.

Cole, D., The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott (The Architectural Press, London, 1980), p. 134.



Brighton College - Brighton

The death of his brother, Samuel King Scott, on 9 June 1865 was a tremendous blow to Scott. He was seven years younger than Scott and after serving his articles with William Stowe at Buckingham, stayed with the Scotts’ at Spring Gardens while he continued his training at a London hospital. It was probably due to the Hull Scotts' friendship with ‘a highly respected Physician’ in Hull, Dr. William Hulme Bodley, who had moved to Brighton, that Samuel Scott obtained a post as surgeon at the public dispensary there. Maybe there was a deal between the Scott and Bodley families as it was shortly afterwards that Bodley's son, George Frederick, entered Scott's office and lodged with the Scotts’ at Avenue Road. But the two families became even closer linked in 1846 when George Frederick's sister, Georgina Bodley, married Samuel Scott, who eventually bought his way into general practice in Brighton.

Georgina and Samuel had fourteen children, one of whom, Bernard, was the father of Elisabeth Scott (1898-1972), who was the architect of the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon in 1928. Samuel was a ‘stout man’, who worked hard ‘early & late - Day & night for eleven months in the year’. Scott first became aware that Samuel was not well in April 1865, when he had what seems to have been a heart attack. He died two months later and was buried in Hove Churchyard near to their sister's grave. He had provided Scott with contacts in Brighton that would lead to some of his most important works.

In 1848 Scott won a competition for the first buildings of Brighton College which was founded as an Evangelical public school in the previous year. Samuel was a member of the original Committee of the school, which was set up in 1845, and probably persuaded Scott to enter the competition. His attractive design in the ‘Collegiate Gothic of the fourteenth century’ was selected by the school authorities, but lack of funds meant that they could only afford the central structure shorn of much of its architectural interest.

On 27 June 1848 Scott assisted Bishop Gilbert of Chichester, the Patron of the College, in laying the foundation stone and the building was completed by August 1849 at a cost of £6250.

As well as his introduction to Bishop Gilbert, which may have led to the Chichester commission and his work for the College, Scott was to find that his main professional debt to his brother would be for obtaining his introduction to Dr Cotterill, who gained him commissions in South Africa and Scotland.

Scott’s Recollections, III 44, 51-2, 56.
Dictionary of National Biography (G. F. Bodley).
RIBA Biography file.
Jones, M. D. W., Brighton College 1845-1995 (Chichester, Phillimore and Co. Ltd, 1995), pp. 12, 20.
The Builder, VII, p. 185.



Brighton College additions - Brighton

The appearance of the school buildings was enlivened in 1852, when the new Principal, the Reverend Henry Cotterill (1812-1886), provided the funds for Scott to add a large block at the east end containing a house for himself and a boarding house with a large dining hall and a staircase tower on the junction with the earlier building at a cost of £5000.

Jones, M. D. W., Brighton College 1845-1995 (Chichester, Phillimore and Co. Ltd, 1995), pp. 21, 44.



Brighton College Chapel and Hall - Brighton

In 1859 Scott added a small chapel and hall to the west end of the original block at a cost of £3000, providing the school with something like the architectural dignity that he had proposed in his first design. Jackson, a former pupil of the school, later built an enormous brick and terracota pile along the road completely hiding his old master's work.

Jones, M. D. W., Brighton College 1845-1995 (Chichester, Phillimore and Co. Ltd, 1995), p. 50.
Jackson, Sir T. G., Bt. R. A., Recollections, The Life and Travels of a Victorian Architect (Unicorn Press, London, 2003), p. 15.
Pevsner, N., and Nairn, I., Sussex, Buildings of England (Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1973), p. 443.



Brill Baths - Brighton

It was also probably through his brother's medical connections that, after the loss of the Albert Hall, Scott was given his only opportunity to build an actual dome, although structurally very different from his ideas for the great hall. A gentelmen’s swimming pool, this was in the centre of Brighton between the sea front and the Royal Pavilion, and was an extension to Charles Brill's indoor sea-water swimming pool for ladies. Scott produced a design in 1866 for a light iron dome, sixty-five feet in diameter, over two levels of arcades, in Scott's personal style with pointed arches with alternating voussoirs. It was then the largest swimming pool in Europe but the baths eventually lost their popularity, became run-down and in 1929 were demolished to make way for the Savoy cinema. With Scott's love of domes, it is strange that he fails to mention Brill's Baths anywhere, particularly in the two lectures on domes that he gave at the Royal Academy in 1872. Perhaps he felt that ‘the noblest of all forms by which a space can be covered’, was inappropriate for a swimming pool.

Cole, D., he Work of Sir Gilbert ScottT (The Architectural Press, London, 1980), p. 149.
Clunn, H., The Face of the Home Counties etc. T(Simpkin Marshall, London, 1936), p. 368.
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__7742_path__0p116p1442p.aspx for illustration.
Scott, G., Sir, Lectures on the Rise and Development of Medieval Architecture delivered at the Royal AcademyT (John Murray, London, 1879), vol. II, pp. 229.



Monument to Mary Jane Scott - Hove

In 1864, Scott designed a gravestone for his sister Mary Jane Scott which was placed in St Andrew’s Churchyard, Church Road, Hove. A polished red granite slab, it has an elaborate incised cross on the top with carved lettering around the edge, on a base of stone with floral decoration around the edge.


Chichester Cathedral - Chichester

At half-past-one on the afternoon of Thursday 21 February 1861, a small boy was idly gazing out of the window of a train pulling into Chichester Station, as small boys do, when he was astonished to see the great spire of the Chichester Cathedral suddenly disappear. The boy's surprise, however, was not universal. The old central tower had been giving rise to considerable concern for many months beforehand and during the previous night there had been a terrific gale blowing. In spite of the efforts of a large gang of workmen during the morning, the structure became so unstable that they decided to evacuate the cathedral and leave it to its fate. Only fifteen minutes later the tower and spire collapsed. The Times said that it was ‘a subject of the greatest thankfulness to Almighty God that no lives have been sacrificed’. But the beautiful spire had gone.

Inevitably Scott, now the recognised expert on central tower problems, was called in and he seems to have been in charge when Prince Albert visited the cathedral a fortnight later. According to The Times, Scott ‘answered various inquires [sic] made by his Royal Highness, who expressed much interest in the extraordinary appearance of the ruins’. The crossing and the eastern bay of the nave were destroyed in the fall, but the rest of the cathedral was amazingly intact. Scott had visited Chichester in about 1853 when he sketched the cathedral, and in 1858 he told the students at the Royal Academy that the eastern parts were ‘a most beautiful example’ of the Transitional style. But up to the time of the disaster he had had no professional involvement with the building and only had a few days to be in a position to answer the Prince’s ‘various inquiries’. Willis was producing an architectural history of Chichester, but as it was not published until after the fall, Scott may have had to rely on such works as Fergusson's Handbook of 1855, to brief the Prince.

The tower was probably built in the middle years of the thirteenth century and in the fifteenth century the great octagonal spire was added, giving a total height of 277 feet. But the fact that about this time a detached bell tower was built to the north-west of the cathedral is possibly a sign that even when the spire was first raised, there was concern that the central tower was not strong enough to take the bells. In the mid-seventeenth century gales coming in from the sea had forced the spire out of the perpendicular. Unlike Salisbury, there was no strutting inside the spire and it consisted of a stone shell, nine inches thick, diminishing to six inches at the top. Sir Christopher Wren was called in to make the structure safe and he rebuilt the upper part of the spire and hung a ten-feet long timber pendulum from the top of the interior which supported two octagonal platforms of smaller dimensions than their surrounding masonry. The intention was that the platforms would be loaded with iron to provide more weight to the top of the spire, as well as counteracting the sway of the spire in a gale, and when the gale ceased, allow the spire to return to the vertical. A few months before the fall it was said that the ‘effect in a storm is surprising and satisfactory’!

Between 1843 and 1856 considerable external and internal repairs and restorations were made to the cathedral. At first these were probably carried out by ‘the late resident architect’, as Scott calls him, Joseph Butler of Chichester. But in about 1848, a London architect, Richard Cromwell Carpenter (1812-1855), was brought in to work with Butler. No doubt Carpenter's introduction to Chichester was the work of the Dean, George Chandler, who was a High Churchman and an enthusiastic supporter of the Ecclesiological Society, which considered Carpenter to be one of its favourite architects. Scott describes him as one of his ‘very excellent friends’ but points out their different approaches with his comment that ‘Amongst Anglican architects Carpenter & Butterfield were the apostles of the high church - I, of the multitude’.

Dean Chandler clearly intended to restore the cathedral to conform with the ideals of the Ecclesiologists but his plans must have been somewhat thwarted in 1855, when Carpenter suddenly died and his former pupil, William Slater (1819-1872), took over the restoration. Chandler himself died in February 1859, and in his place Lord Derby appointed Walter Farquar Hook (1798-1875), the Vicar of Leeds, to be the new Dean of Chichester. Hook was appointed to Leeds in 1837 and had built up an amazing reputation for his exceptional drive and energy, but his parish duties gave him little time for scholarship. His appointment to Chichester, at the age of sixty-one, was intended to give him a ‘comparative rest’ and enable him to fulfil his ambition to produce a great work on the Archbishops of Canterbury.

At Chichester, Hook continued the restoration that Chandler had started with Slater now in charge. Stained-glass by Wailes was inserted in the new west window as a memorial to Chandler and in 1859 Slater embarked on the restoration of the choir under the crossing, as another memorial to Chandler. In order to allow the choir and the nave to be used together for divine service, Slater removed the screen between the western tower piers which was ‘much mutilated, and was in bad state of repair’, and stored it in the bell tower with a view to later repositioning it elsewhere in the cathedral.

When the old fittings were removed an appalling state of affairs was revealed. Not only was the original Norman core of the four tower piers not properly bonded to their later Transitional facings, it was also discovered that in the sixteenth century, when the choir stalls were extended westwards, the lower portions of the piers had been cut away, leaving them supported on pieces of timber. Slater immediately ordered timber shoring to be placed under the tower arches and in the summer of 1860 inserted new stonework and injected liquid cement into the piers. However, in the following November, it was noticed that some of the new work in the western piers had moved and was cracking. It was thought that the liquid cement had not had time to set so these movements were assumed to be unimportant. All seemed secure until 14 February 1861, when the cracks in the western pier began to enlarge. Additional supports were rushed in, but it was obvious that the cathedral was in a perilous state. On the following Sunday after the usual services, which were confined to the nave, the whole cathedral was closed to the public and an army of workmen was drafted in to save the building. In spite of struggling night and day it must have obvious that the men were fighting a losing battle. The centres of the piers were ‘rotten’, and when ‘the masonry was restrained in one place by props and shores the restraint caused it to bulge on the adjoining surfaces faster than it was possible to apply the remedies’.

The great storm on the night of Wednesday 20 February was the final blow. More strutting and shoring was inserted during the early hours of Thursday morning and when the building seemed secure, the men took a break of three hours, only to find on their return that their efforts had been completely inadequate. More men were drafted in, working throughout the morning, but as The Times reported:

The crushing and settlement of the south-west pier had caused serious pressure on the top of the south-east and north-west piers, the entire separation of the church walls from the western supports of the tower had become evident, heavy stones burst out and fell, the core of the south-west pier poured out, crushed to powder, and the workmen were cleared out of the building and the noble spire left to its fate at a quarter past 1.

They did not have to wait long. Slater went off to lunch at the inn opposite, but before he was far into his meal, somebody at the window shouted ‘There she goes’. By the time he looked up all Slater could see was a space where Chichester's beautiful tower had stood for six centuries. Those who did see the fall said that the spire swayed to the south-west and then sank quietly into the centre of the building, carrying with it a portion of the nave and parts of the transepts and chancel. They all ended up as a great pile of rubble in the centre of the building.

Hook was distraught. So much effort had gone into trying to save the old building; now there was nothing. He had come to Chichester expecting to find peace after his hectic life in Leeds; now he was faced with the immense task of raising the money to rebuild his shattered cathedral. He gave over the whole of his annual stipend of £1,000 to the work and ignoring Slater, the Chapter immediately called in Scott. Slater was universally blamed for the fall. Even small boys in the street, according to Jackson, pointed him out saying, ‘That's him as let the spire down - that big 'un’. Hook's first contact with Scott was probably in the 1840's, in Leeds, when Scott was building Holbeck and Burley churches in his parish, but Scott also knew the Bishop, Ashurst Turner Gilbert (1786-1870), whom he had assisted in laying the foundation stone of Brighton College in June 1848. Scott immediately went down to Chichester to inspect the ruins, taking his son, John Oldrid, and Jackson with him. The Times reported the catastrophe on the following Saturday and it was ten days later that Scott was in attendance when Prince Albert visited the scene. Fortunately for Hook the widespread publicity given to the disaster attracted considerable public concern, and as Chaplain in Ordinary to Queen Victoria, he had influence in very high places. This must have considerably helped his fund-raising efforts and was probably one of the factors which induced Prince Albert to publically show his concern by visiting the cathedral so soon after the fall.

Scott was presented to the Prince as the expert, while Slater is not even mentioned in The Times report. According to Scott there ‘was much indignation against the Architect Mr Slater but I voluntarily associated him with myself in the work’. Jackson thought that Slater had underrated the danger, but Scott told him:

We ought to be very careful how we judge men in our profession. The worst of architecture is that there is always a chance of it tumbling down, and therefore if we are hasty in condemning our brother architects we may some day incur a similar condemnation ourselves.

All this seems rather hypocritical in view of the many instances when he had displaced his ‘brother architects’, but he probably felt genuinely sorry for Slater, who had been landed with the work without any previous experience of such a large-scale restoration and was, he believed, supporting Carpenter’s family. Scott almost certainly felt that, but for God's grace he might easily have been in Slater's situation and was anxious not to profit by Slater's misfortune.

A rebuilding committee was set up under the chairmanship of the Duke of Richmond, whose main seat was at Goodwood, just three miles north of Chichester. The Duke had a particular interest in the spire of the Cathedral, as one of his ancestors gave it a positive role in the landscape of the park, by cutting an avenue through the intervening woodland to give the house a view of the spire. Now there was nothing to see at the end of the vista. The Duke was one of the wealthiest landowners in Britain and was able to make a handsome contribution to the rebuilding fund. He received Prince Albert when he arrived at Chichester after the short sea crossing from Osborne to Portsmouth and, after the inspection of the ruins, accompanied the Prince back to Goodwood.

Scott reported to the committee on 19 March. He estimated that rebuilding would cost £50,000, but such was the feeling of loss that The Times reported on 10 May, only eleven weeks after the fall, that £27,000, over half the required sum, had already been raised. The Duke contributed £1,000, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert contributed £350, Bishop Gilbert £1,000, and Hook £500. Twelve days later another list was published, by which time another £1,000 had been added, and here the names sound like a roll-call of Scott's patrons, including, Lord John Manners, Sir Francis Scott, Lord John Thynne, Dean Trench, Whewell, Hope, Freeman and Akroyd. All knew Scott's work and could trust him to do a good job with their money. Scott said:

The first work was to collect photographs & views - & to search the heap of debris so constantly, perservingly & diligently as to find & appropriate to its place every detail...This was ably carried out by My eldest son Gilbert, who worked 6 weeks at it labelling & registering every detail as it was recognised …

Scott's investigations were particularly helped by a set of ‘perfect measured drawings of the whole’, which Butler had made and had been bought by Slater. ‘This was a most happy circumstance - & enabled us to put together fragments (upon paper) with certainty of correctness - so one thing with another the whole design was absolutely & indisputably recovered’. Scott's only innovations were to raise the tower by five or six feet, so that the blank arcading around its base was clear of the adjacent roofs and to remove walling-up in the belfry openings. He, in fact, adhered so closely to the original that he repeated irregularities, such as a difference in the number of battlements on various sides of the tower.

The success of the appeal for funds enabled work to begin almost immediately in 1861. New foundations and the lower portions of the piers were built by a local contractor, Bushby of Littlehampton, while the rest of the work was carried out by one of Scott's favourites, J. & W. Beanland of Bradford, whom he had first used at Haley Hill, Halifax. Scott was determined to make his new structure as solid as possible.

The foundations were sunk to a considerable depth in doing which we found many Roman fragments - bits of mosaic pavements &c & also several boars' tusks etc. The foundation of each pier was a square bulk of masonry surrounded by stepped buttresses & immense footings all built of great blocks of Purbeck stone & laid on a mass of cement concrete.

The ends of the nave, chancel and transepts were supported by shoring while the tower was built up as an independent structure and it was only when the builder reached the base of the spire that the four arms were connected to the tower. The spire was then built and finally capped at a special ceremony conducted by the Bishop on 28 June 1866, when young Gilbert climbed up and returned the old weathercock to its rightful position. Scott was immensely pleased with his structural prowess at Chichester, and claimed that ‘I do not think that a settlement of a hairs breath shows itself’.

Slater's career was far from over as a result of the Chichester disaster. Only a year later he was awarded a medal at the 1862 International Exhibition by a jury of which Scott was a member and, as Carpenter's successor, new work kept coming in. This connection was boosted 1863 when he took on Carpenter's son, Richard Herbert Carpenter (1841-1893) as a partner. At Chichester, after Scott had completed the tower, Slater was allowed to resume his scheme to refit the choir under the tower and he was able to incorporate much of the old woodwork, which had been removed before the fall, into new choir stalls completed in 1867.

Clifton-Taylor, A., The Cathedrals of England (Thames and Hudson, London, 1979), p. 220.
The Times, 23 February 1861, p. 5, col. d.
The Times, 7 March 1861, p. 9, col. f.
Pevsner, N., and Nairn, I., Sussex, Buildings of England (Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1973), pp. 55, 134, 137, 140-1, 227.
Fisher, G., Stamp, G. and Heseltine, J., (eds), The Scott Family, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects (Avebury Publishing, Amersham, 1981), 79 [c], 86, 86 [c].
Scott, G., Sir, Lectures on the Rise and Development of Medieval Architecture delivered at the Royal Academy (John Murray, London, 1879), vol. I, p. 120 and figure 80.
Fergusson, J., The Illustrated Handbook of Architecture … (John Murray, London, 1855), vol. II, pp. 852-6.
Storer, J., History and Antiquities of the Cathedral Churches of Great Britain (Rivingtons, Murray, Hatchard, Clarke, Taylor and Sherwood, Neely and Jones, London, 1816), vol. II, Chichester, (q).
Briggs, M. S., Goths and Vandals, A study of the destruction, neglect and preservation of historical buildings in England (Constable, London, 1952), pp. 97-8.
Murray, [King, R. J.], Handbook to the Cathedrals of England, Southern Division Part II, Chichester, Canterbury, Rochester (John Murray, London, 1861), pp. 294, 297, 300, 305-7.
Scott’s Recollections, I 17, 346, III 311-14, 319, IV 111-12, 114, 116-7.
Eastlake, C. L., A History of the Gothic Revival (Longmans, Green and Co., London 1872), p. 202.
Jackson, B. H., Recollections of Thomas Graham Jackson … 1835-1924 (Oxford University Press, London, 1950), p. 83.
Cole, D., The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott (The Architectural Press, London, 1980), p. 93.
Jones, M. D. W., Brighton College 1845-1995 (Chichester, 1995), p. 21.
The Builder, XXXI, 3 November 1873, p. 882.
Willis, R., The Architectural History of Chichester Cathedral (Chichester, 1861) p. xxiii, n. c.
The Times, 10 May 1861, p. 9, col. c.
The Times, 22 May 1861, p. 8, col. f.
In 1872 Scott said that he considered that the fall of the tower was ‘due absolutely to the folly of the Clerk of the Works’ and he brought in his own Clerk of Works from Dover, J. N. Marshall, who was just completing the restoration of St. Mary in Castro. See Scott’s Recollections, III 312, IV 117.
International Exhibition 1862, Reports by Jurors etc. (London, 1863), p. 12.
Dixon, R., and Muthesius, S., Victorian Architecture (Thames and Hudson, London, 1978), p. 255.



Chichester Cathedral Lady Chapel - Chichester

In February 1870 Bishop Gilbert died in office at the age of eighty-three and it was decided to restore the Lady Chapel as a memorial to him. The work was carried out between 1870 and 1872, with Scott dealing with the structural aspect of the restoration and Slater and Carpenter dealing with the fittings and decorations, which included a set of stained-glass windows by Clayton and Bell. But Slater was hardly to see this work completed when he died in December 1872, at the age of fifty-three.

Scott’s Recollections, III 318. Cole, D., The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott (The Architectural Press, London, 1980), p. 94.



Chichester Cathedral, memorials - Chichester

Dean Hook’s last years were ‘marked by a decline of bodily and mental power’, and he died at the Deanery on 20 October 1875 and was buried alongside his wife at Mid Lavant, just north of Chichester. It was decided that Scott would design a new pulpit and a cenotaph in the cathedral, to his memory. Scott designed a pulpit in 1876 as a memorial to Dean Hook and also a memorial for Jervois Smith M. P. at a cost of £92 in the same year. The pulpit was made by George Hill of Chelsea and was erected in 1878, but has since been destroyed.


Chichester Cathedral, Dean Hook tomb - Chichester

Dean Hook’s last years were ‘marked by a decline of bodily and mental power’, and he died at the Deanery on 20 October 1875 and was buried alongside his wife at Mid Lavant, just north of Chichester. It was decided that Scott would design a new pulpit and a cenotaph in the cathedral, to his memory. The cenotaph, which is a table tomb in the south choir aisle, has been described as ‘very rich and dignified’ and ‘almost the best monument in the cathedral’, and included an alabaster effigy by W. Day Keyworth of Hull, dating from 1877. As with many of his other memorials, Scott's skilful use of coloured stones to give a quiet dignity to the design indicating, perhaps, his personal involvement in the design. The Hook memorials at Chichester came at the end of Scott's life. In fact the cenotaph was not installed until two years after his own death.


St Mary's - Clapham

Scott carried out a restoration at this church in 1871-3, at a cost of £1500, with a reseating, new floor tiles and repairs to the roof and walls.

http://www.churchplansonline.org/show_full_image.asp?resource_id=07428.tif,
http://www.morrissociety.org/publications/JWMS/SP00.13.4.Kelly.pdf
http://sussexparishchurches.org/spc_V31/west-sussex/23-west-sussex-c-d/407-clapham-st-mary



St Mary the Virgin - East Preston

In 1868-9, Scott carried out a restoration at this church with the chancel refloored, reroofed and reseated. A south aisle and vestry were also added.

http://eastpreston.inthepast.org.uk/ep_church.htm



St John the Baptist's - Findon

Scott restored this church for the Dowager Marchioness of Bath between 1865-8, at a cost of £2500. He re-pointed the exterior, removed ceilings, added new floor tiles, reseated it, with repairs to the walls and roofs, as well as adding fittings, for example, the font.

http://www.churchplansonline.org/show_full_image.asp?resource_id=06414.tif
http://sussexparishchurches.org/spc_V31/west-sussex/24-west-sussex-e-g/434-findon-st-john-the-baptist
http://www.morrissociety.org/publications/JWMS/SP00.13.4.Kelly.pdf



St Nicholas's - Itchingfield

In 1865-6, Scott restored and enlarged this church, including a new south aisle incorporating a 15th century window, a new east window, reseating and general restoration including refacing the exterior and rebuilding the west wall. The clerk of works was John Chapple.

http://www.churchplansonline.org/show_full_image.asp?resource_id=06388.tif
http://sussexparishchurches.org/spc_V31/west-sussex/25-west-sussex-h-l/475-itchingfield-st-nicolas



Lancing College Chapel Stalls - Lancing

Scott designed stalls for the chapel in 1851 which were carved by William Thompson, Ratee and Kett.


Fitzroy Memorial Library and Museum - Lewes

In 1862, Scott designed a lavish commemorative library in the centre of Lewes. It was the gift of the widow of Henry Fitzroy, the First Commissioner of Works, to the people of Lewes, where her husband had been M.P. for over twenty-two years. Presumably Mrs. Fitzroy wanted a spectacular building in the style which her husband seemed to have favoured. Extensive funds were available for the building to be fitting memorial to Scott's brief ally, as Mrs. Hannah Meyer Fitzroy (1815-1864) was, in fact, a daughter of N. M. Rothschild, the founder of the London branch of the famous bank.

The Fitzroy Memorial is a small symmetrical red brick building with a very ornate front and a small spire in the centre. At the rear is a single storey glass-roofed projection, containing the library, not unlike the museum at Pippbrook. The walls of this are decorated with a blank arcade of large pointed arches of alternating voussoirs each containing a rose window above a pair of round-headed windows. It is now a private house. There is no evidence that Scott carried out any further work for the wealthy Rothschilds even though they were soon to be involved in an extensive building programme around London, particularly in his home county of Buckinghamshire. The Rothschild family moved towards grand Italian or French style mansions, with the smaller buildings in the vernacular of the neighbourhood. The High Victorian of Scott and the Gothic Revivalists found little favour with the great Jewish family.

Franks, J., Building And Saving Fitzroy Library, Lewes (Pomegranate Press, Lewes, 2012).



St Michael and All Angels - Little Horstead

This church was restored by Scott in 1862-3. Most of the old church was demolished except for the north wall and then restored in Early English style with perpendicular windows. The original tower also remained and its turrets were restored. A new south-east vestry and timber porch with tile roof was provided. Scott's restoration is claimed to have cost £2271.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC40D34_church-micro-3056-little-horsted?guid=5f701ae8-9383-48b7-bb31-de88bcb8a433



St Margaret's - Rottingdean

Between 1851-6, Scott restored this church adding a new three bay south aisle, reseating it, removing the gallery, with repairs to walls and chancel and new chancel lancets. The nave was also reroofed.

http://www.churchplansonline.org/show_full_image.asp?resource_id=04439.tif