St James's - Ansty
This was an estate church for nearby Ansty Hall and enlarged and restored in 1856 under the patronage of the Adams family. This included rebuilding the now octagonal west tower and spire.
St Mark's, King Edward's Road - Birmingham
This church was designed and built with Moffatt in 1840-1, a basic hall church with ‘minor’ transepts and western tower in plain lancet style, following the design of their church at Bridlington and what the Church Commissioners wanted. It was the second of five churches built by the Birmingham Church Building Society, but closed in 1947 and has since been demolished.
Brownsover House - Brownsover
About 1854, Scott was commissioned to remodel and extend a large country house, and it could have been this appointment which led him to think that the application of the principles of Gothic architecture to secular and domestic building would be the best route for his practice to follow. Scott's client, John Ward-Boughton-Leigh (1790-1868), of Brownsover Hall in Warwickshire, was presumably already familiar with Scott's work at Rugby when he commissioned him to carry out the work. Scott added a new drawing room and entrance hall to Brownsover, and at the other end of the house he built a new banqueting room. A new entrance porch was formed in the base of a new tower, which has a stair turret on one corner with a spikey roof. He refaced everything, including those portions of the old house which were still visible, in red brick with blue brick patterning, altered the windows, and gave the whole house a uniformly Victorian appearance. The service wing was extended and a stable block added in the same materials. But the resulting design of Gothic details on a classical form seems very clumsy. The self-conscious attempt at asymmetry on the entrance front is spoilt by a clash between the spike of the staircase turret and a high pitched roof-cum-spire over the entrance tower. This is the first time that Scott uses this type of roof, which he repeated on several of his later designs, and it is the only part of Brownsover which is obviously derived from Scott's continental travels. The work was completed about 1857. Scott fell into the trap of trying to disguise the old house with the result that it appears as if he had designed an awkward and ungainly building, which pays little attention to the architectural philosophy that Scott was trying to develop at the time.
St Michael's - Brownsover
The church was restored by Scott for the Boughton-Leigh family in 1876-7, using the existing thirteenth century parts. He rebuilt much of the church including the chapel, north and south walls, west end and removed the brick work porch. He reroofed it and placed the bell bracketed over the central door. It has been redundant since 1987 and under the care of the Historic Churches Trust.
Holy Trinity - Coventry
Scott started an interior restoration at this church in 1854, removing galleries, pews and organs. He placed new paving in the sanctuary, provided central heating and removed the floor of the ringing chamber in the tower in 1855 to reveal the vaulting. The bells were hung in a free standing belfry, demolished in around 1970. He also reseated and refitted the church, providing new lighting, the restoration completed in 1856.
Holy Trinity Reredos - Coventry
Scott designed a reredos for the church in 1873.
St John the Baptist's - Coventry
This church was subject to two restorations by Scott, the first, the exterior, transepts and tower, in 1858-61 at a cost of £2000. He renewed much of the exterior red sandstone which had become weathered and added turrets to the corners of the tower.
St John the Baptist's second restoration - Coventry
Scott's second restoration of this church, in 1875-7, comprised the nave and interior at a cost of £6000.
St Botolph's - Farnborough
Scott carried out a restoration at this church in 1875 including building a new north aisle, bell
chamber and roof, renewing the nave roof and adding a new recessed broach spire, as well as other repairs.
St Nicholas's - Frankton
This church was subject to a major restoration by Scott in 1872, the chancel, north nave wall and south aisle walls being rebuilt, a vestry added and windows renewed. The tower was not altered. The church was also reseated and fittings renewed.
St Peter's - Hampton Lucy
Originally a church built in 1822 by Rickman and Hutchinson, Scott was asked to remodel and extend it in 1856, for the Rev. John Lucy, his ‘dear … friend’, who came from nearby Charlecote Park. He provided a new chancel, fittings and a new polygonal apse which was tall and highly ornate. He also added a two storey north porch and added an array of gothic pinnacles to the exterior. The church was reopened on Christmas Day 1863.
All Saints - Ladbroke
Scott restored this church in 1876 for the Rev. John Richard Errington, the rector, at a cost of £3000. His work included new lead roofs to the north and south aisles, re-flooring throughout using encaustic tiles, as well as general restoration work. He also provided new chancel stalls, a timber altar rail, font, pulpit and brass lectern. The fees amounted to £129.
Holy Trinity - Rugby
This church was designed and built by Scott in 1851-4 as a chapel of ease, to the east of the town, for the parish of St Andrew. In Early English Geometric style, it was a large cruciform church built from grey stone in brick-like units with a central ornate crossing tower. It had circular clerestory windows and cost under £7250 to complete. Scott seemed happy enough to design new churches with towers over the crossing where he could ensure adequate support for the tower; it was old buildings with this layout that Scott tried, not always successfully, to avoid. Subject to further work in 1883 by Bodley when the tower needed underpinning, it was demolished in 1983.
School Field House, Rugby School - Rugby
In 1852, he built a large boarding house with a master's house attached. This shows little advance, if any, on the parsonages he was building ten years earlier. It is in the Tudor style, asymmetrical, red brick with black diapered brickwork, high pitched tiled roofs, gabled dormers and mullioned windows. ‘1852’ is picked out in headers on the eastern gable.
All Saints - Sherbourne
This church was designed and built by Scott between 1862-4 for Louisa Ryland, whose family were Birmingham industrialists, at a cost of £20000. It is a lavish building, stone faced, in late Early English style. It has a high thin spire in the north-west corner and cinque-foil windows in the clerestory. It has carving by Brindley and shafts of green and red marble. The stained glass is by Clayton and Bell, the Ryland Chapel by Hardman. The clerk of works was Alfred Roome, the sub-architect, Thomas Garner, originally from Warwickshire, who had been articled to Scott from 1856. He later went into partnership with Bodley.
St Andrew's - Shilton
In 1865, Scott added an outer north aisle to this church and restored the chancel at the same time.
St James's survey - Southam
The church was first surveyed by Scott in February 1852.
St James's - Southam
A general restoration of the church was carried out by Scott in 1863 although it is not clear if this was under the direction of Scott or just using his earlier findings. This included rebuilding the upper portion of the spire, adding the north and south porches and the north-east chapel, as well as fittings such as an oak altar, font and gas standards by Skidmore.
St Mary's - Temple Balsall
Originally the chapel of the religious Order of The Knights Hospitallers, it was restored by Scott in 1849. Dating from the thirteenth century, it was largely rebuilt in late thirteenth century style, with Scott adding pinnacles and parapets, raising walls and providing a new roof. The contractor was Broadbent and Hawley. Inside he provided a sedilia and piscina and Gothic organ case. He is also said to have enclosed the nearby timber framed twelfth century aisled hall, which was the Preceptory of the Knights Templar Order, with red brick.
Tysoe School - Tysoe
Scott designed the school here in 1856, in local stone, with a school master’s house attached. It is asymmetrical with thirteenth century style windows with mullions and transoms, with pointed arch lintels and also a bell turret.
Tysoe School additions - Tysoe
Scott carried out further additions to the school in 1872.
Walton Hall - Walton
There are several parallels between Kelham and Walton Hall, which Scott built for Sir Charles Mordaunt near Stratford-upon-Avon. Both were built at about the same time for wealthy young landowners on the sites of earlier family homes in idyllic parkland settings. But whereas at Kelham Scott gave full vent to the elaborate High Victorian Gothic style that he had made his own, at Walton he was more restrained. And again, he seems to have worked on the design after his apparent failure in the Government Offices Competition in June 1857.
Sir Charles Mordaunt was only twenty-two when he engaged Scott to rebuild the family home that he had inherited after his father's sudden death in 1845. This was on a large estate of some 3,500 acres, nine miles east of Stratford-upon-Avon, with a tributary of the Avon running through the park. His father was killed in a shooting accident while walking in the park and his widow it is said, ‘developed a passion for building to channel her grief’. The old house was not to the taste of the young Sir Charles and when he came of age, and apparently with the co-operation of his mother, he commissioned Scott to make the house appear more fashionable.
Unlike Scott's other mansions, Walton has three principal stories and lacks the complicated roof-line and dormers which are such a prominent feature of Scott's secular designs. He had learnt from the Brownsover experience and no traces of the old house seem to exist. It is entirely built of a dark local stone with dressings of a slightly paler Bath Stone. The dull appearance of the house is slightly relieved on the north-facing entrance side by two towers capped by steep-pitched roofs. Unlike Kelham there is no window tracery and pointed arches are limited to relieving arches over the largest windows.
The display of quiet opulence is much less muted inside the house. The entrance hall is two stories high with a double-height colonnade separating the hall from the staircase and the first floor corridor. Typically of its period, the house was planned to achieve the highest standards of comfort for the family, including the provision of massive service accommodation. This was built around a sixty feet square court which is entered through a spire-topped archway. The work was completed 1862, costing about £30,000, but Scott had to wait until 1877 before he was paid an outstanding £600 in fees. Perhaps this delay was due to the huge cost of divorce proceedings in those days, which could well explain Sir Charles's tardiness. In 1866 Sir Charles Mordaunt, by now an M. P., married Harriet Moncrieff of Perthshire, but the marriage was a disaster. Constituency business, or fishing trips abroad, kept Sir Charles away from her during the London season and Lady Mordaunt acquired a string of aristocratic visitors to their house in Belgravia, and later to Walton Hall, during his absences. A child was born which she admitted was not his and this resulted in a sensational case, at which the Prince of Wales was called as a witness. Eventually they were divorced in 1875, and in 1878 he married Mary Louisa Cholmondeley. When Sir Charles died in 1897, Walton passed to the son of the second marriage, and when he died in 1934 the Mordaunt baronetcy was finally extinguished after eleven generations and over three hundred years. The house is now a country club.
St John the Baptist's - Wasperton
Scott carried out a thorough restoration at this church, in 1843, for the Rev. Thomas Leveson Lane, largely at his own personal expense. He adapted the eighteenth century church and added a new bell turret, spirelet, windows and rebuilt the east end. In 1845, he provided a screen in thirteenth century style, surmounted by a cross and Hardman completed the glass in the east window, said to be Pugin’s last design.
St Peter's - Welford-on-Avon
In 1866-7, Scott restored this church for the rector, James Davenport, at a cost of £1200. His work included new roofs throughout, a new floor to the chancel, new chancel arch, new south porch and vestry, and the chancel and north windows were renewed
St John the Baptist's - Westwood Heath
Pevsner is enthusiastic about this church built by the partnership in 1842. Westwood Heath was a hamlet three miles south-west of the centre of Coventry. It is built from the local red stone and consists of a nave, chancel and a north porch with a brick bellcote over the west gable. Pevsner states that it is ‘one of the first archaeologically conscientious churches in England ... an attempt at least at recreating the local village church ... the attitude is unmistakably the Victorian as against the pre-Victorian’. Lord Leigh of Stoneleigh, who was a scholarly poet and a member of Christ Church, Oxford, provided the site, the endowment and the stone from his nearby quarry. It was designed for 300 people, with two-thirds of the sittings being free and was completed by 1845, although a vestry was later added in 1876.
St Margaret's - Whitnash
Scott carried out two restorations here. The first was in 1855, when he rebuilt the chancel, in Geometric style, in ashlar with a tile roof.
St Margaret's second restoration - Whitnash
In 1867, Scott rebuilt the south aisle, in Geometric style, in ashlar with a tile roof. In 1880, after his death, the nave was rebuilt.
St Michael's - Coventry
This restoration was begun with Moffatt in 1845 but completed by Scott alone by 1850. The work included the removal of the galleries and renewal of seating in open pews. The cathedral church was destroyed during the Second World War in 1940, and eventually rebuilt as Coventry’s new cathedral.