Holy Trinity Church design - Shanghai
In 1863, church trustees commissioned Scott to draw plans for ‘a model of modern ecclesiastical architecture’ for 800 people. The cruciform building featured a nave, transept, north and south aisles, a chancel and two small chapels, with lancet and rose windows and with a detached tower and spire to the south.
Holy Trinity Church - Shanghai
On 20th January 1866, the North-China Herald and Market Report described Scott's planned church as ‘massive and substantial in its feature.’ However, as in India, Scott’s designs had to be modified in situ, both because of the climate and because the design was too expensive to actually build. William Kidner, a British architect working in Shanghai, carried out the modifications, lengthening and widening the building and dispensing with the clerestory so that walls could be thinner. He substituted a wooden roof for a vaulted brick roof. Scott approved the changes, and in May 1866 the foundation stone was laid. The red brick church was finished by 1870 and is currently subject to a restoration programme.