Monument to Viscountess Canning, Barrackpore - Calcutta
Scott worked up a design for a monument to Viscountess Canning, from an design drawn by Lady Waterford. It was of white marble inlaid with coloured marble and built in 1864-5. However, the Italian marble could not cope with the excessive damp of the Calcutta climate so it was moved to St Paul’s Cathedral, Calcutta. An Indian white marble replica was placed over the grave. The monument was later moved again to St John's Church, Calcutta.
Monument to Earl of Elgin - Calcutta
Scott also designed a monument to the Earl of Elgin, built in 1868-9 and executed by Birnie Philip.
St James's Church - Calcutta
In 1861, Scott produced a ‘design for a church in a tropical country’ which was shown to the Northampton Architectural Society. This was probably for St James’s Church, Calcutta. The design was later rejected and worked started in 1862 on a church designed by the railway architect Walter Granville, although he may have based his ideas on Scott’s original plans.
Fountain by St Thomas's Cathedral - Mumbai
Scott designed the neo-Gothic fountain outside west door of the cathedral. It was donated by the Parsi financier Sir Cowasjee Jehangir Readymoney, who also helped fund the university buildings, possibly around the same date in the mid 1870s.
Mumbai University - Mumbai
It is possibly through his admiration of Scott that Akroyd persuaded Sir Charles Wood, his political ally and fellow founder of the Halifax Building Society, to commission Scott to submit designs for a new university at Bombay (Mumbai), which Wood had helped to found in 1857. A massive clock tower and the University Library were built to Scott’s designs between 1869 and 1878, in a Venetian Gothic style, funded by Premchand Roychand, and the Convocation Hall in 1873. He also designed the Sir Cowasjee Jehangir Hall in 1876. However, the experience does not seem to have been a happy one for Scott. On the ground in India, his designs were deemed too expensive and two British architects, Walter Paris and George Twigge-Molecey, working in the city’s Public Works Department, were given the task of ‘reducing’ Scott’s designs, whilst keeping as much of the original layout as possible, seemingly without Scott’s prior knowledge. They oversaw the construction of the buildings, helped by the British engineer Lt. Col. John Fuller, and the Indian assistant engineer Muckoond Ramchunder Jamseteji.