Cubitt, William, 1791-1863
Scott had probably first met William Cubitt in 1832 when Cubitt built the superstructure of the Fishmongers’ Hall in partnership with his brother Lewis. Later he entered into partnership with another brother, Thomas, and together they built-up the great building firm, which is still in existence. By employing their own specialist tradesmen and craftsmen, they invented the concept of today's general contractor. At one stage they employed 3,000 men and had three yards in London, where they produced the different components required for building. After Thomas's death in 1855, William Cubitt became the head of the firm, which had become an obvious candidate for any list of tenderers for major building projects in London. Between 1859-61, they worked for Scott on Kelham Hall. In 1860-1, Cubitt was Lord Mayor of London and MP for Andover from 1847-61.
Established in Studd Street, Islington, by 1861 they were one of the largest contractors in London, employing 210 men and 11 boys. A partnership between three brothers, in 1867-70 they were contractors for St John the Baptist's Church, Croydon. They also carried out St Mary Abbots, Kensington, and St Clement’s Church, Barnsbury, for Scott.
Peto, Sir Samuel Morton, 1809-89
Through his Maddox connections, Scott obtained an introduction to Morton Peto, who ‘had just left’ when Scott started at Maddox's. Sir Samuel Morton Peto Bt., as he was to become, was one of the great figures of the nineteenth century building world. He had been apprenticed to his uncle Henry Peto, one of the builders in 1826 of John Nash's Park Crescent and succeeded to the business with his cousin, Thomas Grissell, in 1830. One of the first major works of the new firm was the reconstruction of the run-down vegetable market, which in the seventeenth century had been built on the site of the Hungerford family house, between The Strand and the River Thames. Plans were drawn up by Charles Fowler, who had already rebuilt Covent Garden Market, for a magnificent classical design with Italianate piazzas at two levels surrounded by Doric colonnades, separated by a large market hall. The site was very awkward, 475 feet long and only 126 feet wide with a drop in level from The Strand down to the river of approximately twenty feet. In fact the whole area was excavated, providing two stories of vaults at The Strand end. Grissell and Peto ‘specially stationed’ Scott at Hungerford Market. In 1845, Peto retired from his firm to enter Parliament.