Anderson, Robert Rowand, 1834-1921
Assisted Scott on St James’s Church, Leith, 1861-3. His first major work was in 1876 when he won a competition for Edinburgh University’s Medical School. From 1866-90, he was an honorary member of the Spring Gardens Sketch Club and Scott used his drawings in 1867 for his Royal Academy lectures. He was knighted in 1902 and received the Royal Gold Medal in 1916.
Austin, Hubert James, 1841-1915
First articled to his brother Thomas Austin, Hubert spent his early career in the offices of Scott. He was the first secretary of the Spring Gardens Sketch Club. He resigned on leaving the office in 1866 and in 1868 went into partnership with Edward Graham Paley.
Baker, Arthur, 1842-97
Pupil of Scott’s from 1864-7 and associated with him until Scott’s death working as his assistant, for example on Exeter and Chester cathedral restorations. He was a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club until its dissolution in 1890. He undertook some private practice work while with Scott, between 1873-8.
Bell, Alfred, 1832-95
See also Clayton and Bell.
A native of Silton, Dorset, he was recommended to be Scott’s pupil by his village vicar, H. Martin, for producing most remarkable productions, aged 14. He was Scott’s pupil in around 1849, working on the capitals of Hambury Church and the nave of St John’s, Church Row. He was an honorary member of the Spring Gardens Sketch Club and reverted to painting pre-1864. He worked in conjunction with Clayton on projects for Scott, for example, Salisbury, Chester and Gloucester Cathedrals.
Bignell, Joseph Maltby, active 1859-83
A pupil of Scott and Moffatt, he was a member of the original committee of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club and vice-president in 1868. In 1859 he worked on drawings for Kelham Hall.
Bignold, John, -
From 1858, he was the head man of the upper room in Scott’s office. As T. J. Jackson said of him, he was ‘a perfect mine of information on building construction, whose whole soul was wrapped up in the office’.
Birchall, Edward, 1839-1903
After being articled to Perkins in his home town of Leeds, Birchall came to London to work in Scott’s office. By the 1860s, he had set up his own commercial practice in Leeds, designing the Quaker Meeting House, Woodhouse Lane, for example.
Bodley, George Frederick, 1827-1907
Bodley first met Scott at Brighton where Scott’s brother married his sister in 1846. He then became Scott’s first pupil, living at home with him for five years. He was Scott’s assistant from 1850-6 and in the office at the same time as Street. From 1870-98, he was in partnership with Thomas Garner.
Buckeridge, Charles, 1832-73
He was firstly a student at the Royal Academy before moving to Oxford in 1856 to set up a commercial practice. He became part of Scott’s office as clerk of works for St Mary’s, Oxford, and also worked with Scott on the Radcliffe Infirmary. He was an honorary member of the Spring Gardens Sketch Club form 1866-70. From 1860 until his death he was also involved in the restoration of twelve Breconshire churches.
Burlison, John (senior), 1810-68
John Burlison began work for his father William, a Durham joiner, before becoming clerk of works for the architect Bonomi of Durham. An expert on ancient structures, he was the head man in the ground floor front room of Spring Gardens, making estimates and surveys for projects. He was clerk of works at Chesterfield and in 1845, stayed in Hamburg to obtain practical information for Scott and learnt German, directing Scott’s office in Hamburg to oversee the building of St Nicholas. He was a clerk of works and Scott's chief assistant for over 25 years.
Butters, John, 1857-1921
He was a pupil of Scott’s in his last year, 1878, attending his funeral.
Chapple, John, 1826-87
Having also worked for Brunel, Chapple was Scott’s clerk of works for various projects including Boxgrove, Sussex, Itchingfield, Sussex, Danbury, Essex, Frinsted, Kent, Chesham, Bucks and from 1870, St Alban’s Abbey. He remained here for the rest of his working life, except for 11 months in Hamburg in 1876. He stayed at St Alban’s after Scott’s death, working for Grimthorpe until he retired due to ill health in 1886.
Clerk of works for Scott at Lichfield Cathedral in around 1857-61, when he was succeeded by Vickers and J. T. Irvine. He moved to Ripon in 1862, where he was criticised by Scott for introducing too much new stone into the central tower. This episode apparently ruined his health and he was laid low for several years and not expected to recover. However, in 1874-5, he was back working again at Ripon.
Clarke, Somers L. G., 1841-1926
He was a pupil of Scott’s, probably from the 1860s, in 1866, becoming an original committee member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club and its secretary in 1868. From 1876-92, he collaborated with J. T. Micklethwaite and was surveyor to St Pauls Cathedral in 1897, before retiring to Egypt on the grounds of ill health.
Clayton, John Richard, 1827-1913
See also Clayton and Bell
Clayton was a student at the Royal Academy at the same time as Armstead, whom he introduced to Scott. In around 1855 he went into partnership with Bell, with whom, Scott said, he ‘had a morbid love of the queer’. He was an honorary member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1866, working in Scott's office between 1863-9, and also taught the artist Redfern. He was a lifelong friend of Norman Shaw. His work for Scott includes Westminster Abbey, Choir Clerestory 1855; St Michael’s, Cornhill, with Bell, 1860; Westminster Abbey, north transept, 1860; decorated choir vault, Gloucester Cathedral, 1866-72; decorated choir ceiling, Chester Cathedral, 1870; walls of Salisbury Cathedral choir, 1871.
Coad, Richard, 1825-1900
Scott’s assistant, Coad, came from Liskeard in Cornwall where he was originally articled to Henry Rice. He entered Scott and Moffatt's office in 1843, staying until 1864. He was in charge of what Jackson calls the lower room, presumably meaning the first floor rear room as the lowest of the three drawing offices, and was considered an excellent geologist. It was Richard Coad who taught Jackson how to set-up perspective drawings. This was clearly not part of his official duties, but as far as Scott was concerned it proved to be a very worthwhile diversion of Coad's time, as Jackson a few years later, produced some excellent perspective drawings for Scott's major projects. The working drawings for the Albert Memorial were made in Scott’s office, after November 1863, by John Oldrid and Richard Coad and Coad became Scott’s Clerk of Works for the Albert Memorial. Scott received £5,000 in fees while Coad was paid a mere £602. On 25 September 1862, Scott and Irvine set off on a three week tour of France during which they met George Gilbert junior, John Oldrid and Richard Coad. They travelled as far south as Angouleme and Perigueux. No doubt the purpose of the tour was to visit what Scott had called ‘the celebrated domical churches of Perigord and Angoumois’, with a view to using the ideas that they represented in style and structure for what was to become the Royal Albert Hall. In 1864, Coad set up an independent practice in Liskeard and in 1868 opened his own office in Duke Street off The Strand. He was the first chairman of the Spring Garden Sketching Club in 1866 and remained an honorary member until its closure in 1890. His work for Scott included Lanhydrock, 1857; with Stevens, Bradfield College, 1856; the working drawings for the Albert Memorial, with John Oldrid in 1863; also the Foreign Office and Westminster Abbey; and independently, Lanhydrock in 1881-5 and Cocks, Biddulph’s bank, facing onto Whitehall, rebuilt between 1873 and 1874.
Coe, Henry Edward, 1826-85
Coe was an early pupil of Scott’s, having arrived in the office just before the Hamburg Competition. He worked on drawings of Hamburg Cathedral in 1844. He went into partnership with E. Goodwin from 1848-55 and with Robinson in 1875. With H. E. Hofland in 1857, he found himself in competition with Scott over the Foreign Office design, the partnership originally triumphing with the first premium in 1857.
Colling, James Kellaway, 1816-1905
Colling entered Scott and Moffatt’s office in November 1841 and stayed for six months. He later published books of Gothic details.
Cory, John Myrie, 1846-93
He was an improver in Scott’s office in 1867-9 before going to work in the USA. He was elected a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club in 1867. From 1880-6, he was in Shanghai, China.
Crossland, William Henry, 1823-1909
A pupil of Scott’s before 1856. He then worked in Leeds in the late 1860s and in and around London from the 1870s onwards.
Cundall, John, c.1830-89
An assistant of Scott’s for a short period, having served his articles with Mr Squrhill [sic] of Leamington Spa, his native town, and then having worked for Pugin and Murray in London. After his time at Scott’s, he had a partnership with James Murray of Coventry and then practised alone from around 1864 in Leamington until his death. (Obituary: Leamington Spa Courier, 6 April 1889)
Edgar, Robert, 1837-73
Originally from Scotland and already trained as an architect, Edgar worked with Scott for twelve years and was junior architect for the Foreign Office and India Office from 1867. He was a member of the original committee of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club and died on the eve of his departure to the United States in 1873.
Edmeston, James Stanning, d. 1887
Son of the elder James Edmeston, he became a pupil of Scott’s and an elected member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club in 1866. He went on to work with his father and also with Charles Barry on St Peter’s Church, Kensington Park Road, in 1879.
Son of the builder of Christchurch, Hillingdon, he became a pupil of Scott’s and a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1875-90. He then lived in Uxbridge.
Ferguson, Charles John, 1840-1904
Articled to J. A. Cory, he then worked in Scott’s Office for a time, in 1865 winning a competition for Silloth Church as his pupil. He went back into partnership with Cory and then worked alone in Carlisle in the 1880s. He was elected an honorary member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1867-90.
Ferrey, Edmund Benjamin, 1845-1900
The only son of Benjamin Ferrey, he was articled to his father between 1862-7. For most of 1869 he was an improver in Scott’s office and in 1870-1 he was a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club.
Fowler, Charles Hodgson, 1840-1910
He was Scott’s pupil and contemporary of Jackson in the office, who later worked with Scott on Durham Cathedral in 1874-6, and became a prolific church architect. He was an honorary member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1866.
Garner, Thomas, 1839-1906
Garner came from Wasperton Hill, south of Warwick, where Scott had restored the church in 1843, and entered Scott’s office in 1856, a contemporary of Jackson. It was during Garner's pupilage that Scott started on the reconstruction of nearby Walton Hall for Sir Charles Mordaunt. After leaving Scott, he worked in Warwickshire on his own before entering into partnership with Bodley in 1869. This lasted until 1898 when he became a Roman Catholic. He was an honorary member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1866-90.
Hughes, Edward, 1838-86
He was described as 'for many years' being in Scott’s office and was on the original committee of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club. From 1871, he moved to and practised in Huddersfield, designing the Market Hall there in 1878-80.
Irvine, James Thomas, 1826-1900
Originally from Shetland, Irvine joined Scott and Moffat at the age of fourteen and became one of Scott’s most trusted Clerks of Works, staying in the office until 1884. Jackson presumably remembers him partly because of his subsequent prominence as an Anglo-Saxon scholar, producing many papers on his archaeological discoveries.
He was Clerk of Works at Bath Abbey, Scott’s ‘very painstaking friend and assistant’, and came from supervising Scott’s careful restoration of Ludlow Church, which was carried out between 1859 and 1860. While at Bath, Irvine measured the Saxon church of St. Laurence at Bradford-on-Avon, five miles east of the city, which Canon Jones of Salisbury had discovered in 1856 hemmed in by sheds and houses and used as a school and a cottage. In 1868 Scott showed Irvine's drawings to the students of the Royal Academy and again he describes Irvine as a friend and ‘a zealous antiquary’. Between 1874 and 1881 Irvine carried out a meticulous restoration of the little church. He had a keen interest in Anglo-Saxon architecture, which had perhaps developed from work he had carried out on Westminster Abbey and published several papers on his findings. He also worked on Wells Cathedral for Ferrey, and in about 1874, Scott appointed him Clerk of Works at Rochester Cathedral, where, Scott says he ‘discovered many interesting matters underground’. There is also no doubt about the warmth of Scott's feelings towards Irvine who was able to indulge in the type of antiquarian research that he yearned to do himself but never had the time to carry out. Perhaps the less destructive nature of Scott's later restorations was, in some measure, due to Irvine's influence.
After Scott's death Irvine acted as Clerk of Works for Pearson on the reconstruction of the tower of Peterborough Cathedral. But he had a life-long admiration for Scott and dedicated a pamphlet that he wrote on the west front of Peterborough as late as 1895 to ‘the memory of my dear old Master’. Irvine’s admiration for Scott was so great that in 1886, when John gave him sixteen note books of ‘my old Master Sir G. G. Scott’, he handed them over to the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland to be preserved for posterity. But his admiration went to the extreme when he saddled his son, who qualified as an architect in 1894, with the first names ‘George Gilbert’. He was still alive in 1932, so it must have been rather embarrassing for him to have had that name during the period when Scott and all that he stood for were highly unpopular.
Jackson, Sir Thomas Graham, 1835-1924
Jackson had entered Scott's office as a pupil the year before Scott’s climb down over the Foreign Office design in 1858. He was already a graduate of Wadham College, Oxford, where he had been a scholar, but his father had decided that he should become an architect. As they lived near the Scotts at Hampstead, he arranged for his son to meet Scott, who took him to the Brompton Boilers to see the casts. Young Jackson wanted to be a painter and sent his sketches to Burne-Jones, but the response was not encouraging, so he acceeded to his father's wishes and entered Scott's office, with his father producing the necessary 300 guinea premium. He was involved in the restoration of Chichester Cathedral in February 1861.
Jackson completed his pupilage in 1862 and set up in practice on his own, but still carried out various jobs for Scott, including some spectacular perspective drawings of the Midland Grand Hotel and the Government Offices. It was Richard Coad who taught Jackson how to set-up perspective drawings and Jackson produced some excellent perspective drawings for Scott's major projects including an amazing interior view of the curved Coffee Room of the Midland Grand Hotel at St Pancras Station. He was a close friend of John Oldrid Scott and developed a large architectural practice based, particularly, on his Oxford connections. He was showered with honours in his later career, notably a Baronetcy in 1913, and the Royal Gold Medal in 1910, but his numerous rather dull buildings are somewhat outshone by his scholarly writings, particularly Modern Gothic Architecture of 1873, which is a much clearer statement of the theories of the Gothic Revival than Scott ever produced. He was certainly the most publically acclaimed of the Spring Gardens alumni, and had joined the Spring Gardens Sketch Club in 1866, but his architecture, which was often Elizabethan in style, lacks the flair of others, such as George Gilbert Scott junior and Bodley.
Johnson, Robert James, 1832-92
He worked in Scott’s offices from 1849-58, at the same time as Jackson. In 1866 he was elected an honorary member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club and was a member until its dissolution in 1890. After he left Scott’s office, he worked firstly in London before moving to Newcastle in 1863, unearthing Saxon arches in the base of Monkwearmouth Tower in 1866.
Jolley, William, -1895
From 1857-69 he worked in Scott’s office, becoming a member of Spring Gardens Sketching Club in 1866. He then moved to Nottingham and with Evans, in 1871, won a competition for St Leonard’s Church, North Gate, Newark, which was judged by Scott.
Jones, Francis Ebenezer, -1878
From 1867-73 he was a pupil of Scott’s, then becoming an assistant to Scott and John Oldrid from 1872 for six years. He was a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1867.
King, Charles Robert Baker, 1837-1916
Charles Robert Baker King joined Scott’s office as a salaried assistant in 1859, the year after Jackson entered it. He joined the Spring Gardens Sketching Club in 1866 and eventually became Scott's chief assistant and carried out some tactful restoration work under Scott. His chief work included the restoration of St Mary’s, Totnes, for Scott in 1867-74 and he was heavily involved in the restoration of St David’s Cathedral from 1865 until he left the office on Scott’s death in 1878.
Matthews, James, 1820-98
Originally from Aberdeen, he was articled to Archibald Simpson before working in Scott and Moffatt’s office between 1839-44. He then returned to Scotland and went into partnership with Thomas Mackenzie and Alexander Marshall Mackenzie.
Medland, John, 1841-1913
His father, James Medland 1808-96, was also an architect and he was first articled to him in Gloucester. Between 1862-78, he worked as an assistant in Scott’s office and was active in the formation of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club in 1866 and was a member between 1878-90. Between 1873-7, he was sub-architect for All Souls Chapel. After Scott’s death, he commenced his own practice, then going into partnership with his father.
Micklethwaite, John Thomas, 1843-1906
From 1862, Micklethwaite was a pupil of Scott’s, who described him as ‘a learned ecclesiologist and antiquary’. He was active in the formation of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club in 1866. He left to set up his own practice in 1869, although he continued to work with Scott, for example, in 1871 in St Albans Cathedral on the shrine there. He became surveyor to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster in 1898.
Middleton, John Henry, 1846-96
Born in York, with an architect for a father, he was an assistant in Scott’s office during the 1870s and also a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1874. He became Slade Professor at Cambridge in 1886 and later Keeper of the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, from 1889-92, and then the Director of the Art Museum at South Kensington from 1892.
Mortimer, Henry Green, ?-1849
Henry Green Mortimer was appointed as clerk of works at St Mary's, Stafford, in 1843 and, when finished there, was appointed Clerk of Works at St Nicholas, Hamburg in 1845. Scott, therefore, had one of his most experienced and trustworthy assistants at Hamburg. Scott would have had to make an unforeseen and distressing visit to Hamburg in 1849, when St Nicholas was still in its early stages. Mortimer was killed in a fall from the scaffold and Scott had to replace him as Clerk of Works with Isaiah Wood. In 1850, Scott designed a window to Mortimer's memory for his home church at Witham in Essex.
Mountfort, Benjamin Woolfield, 1824-98
Mountfort was one of Scott’s first articled pupils in 1841-6. In 1850, he was part of a Church of England expedition to New Zealand and he remained there for the rest of his life. He completed Christchurch Cathedral in 1873-81, with Scott’s designs and also designed Auckland and Napier Cathedrals, remodelling Nelson Cathedral in 1887.
Nash, Edwin, 1814-84
He was a pupil with R. C. Hussey at Wallens and attended George Maddox’s drawing school in around 1830-1 where he met Scott. In 1834 he went on a sketching tour with him. He became an assistant to Scott and gave G. E. Street a letter of introduction to him. He later went into partnership with his son Walter Hilton Nash.
Nevill, Ralph, 1845-1917
A pupil of Scott, he remained in Scott’s office for ‘some years’, becoming a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club in 1866. He worked with Scott on Godalming Church and stayed on in Godalming after Scott’s death.
Norton, John, 1823-1904
Born in Bristol, Nortin was a pupil of Donaldson's and articled to Ferrey in around 1846. He supported Scott's Gothic Foriegn Office design and was member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1871-90. He was a draughtsman in Scott's office in around 1878.
Peddie, John More Dick, 1853-1921
A member of a family of architects from Edinburgh, he worked as an assistant in Scott’s offices between 1870-5, after studying German. He then returned to Scotland and joined his father’s office as a partner in 1879.
Perkins, Arthur Edward, 1854-1904
A pupil of Scott’s, he became John Oldrid’s assistant and then chief assistant to Jackson for eleven years.
Salmon, William Forrest, 1834-1911
Originally from Glasgow, he was Scott's office from around 1862 to 1866. He became a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club in that year. In 1869-70 he probably helped with the Deaf and Dumb Institute, Langside, Glasgow, and was practising by himself in Glasgow by 1876.
Sayer, Edwin, 1818-1881
Following his articles completed in Bristol, he entered Scott and Moffatt’s office in 1841, continuing to work with Scott after Moffatt’s departure. He later went onto work for Sydney Smirke, Pennethorne and Humbert.
Speechly, Robert, 1840-84
A pupil of Scott’s, in 1864, he was sent out to New Zealand to superintend the construction of Christ Church Cathedral. The foundations were completed but then work was abandoned until 1873 when it was restarted under Mountfort. He later submitted plans for a new cathedral in Melbourne in 1869 but this project was taken on by Butterfield in 1877. He then planned a new cathedral in Kottayam, southern India for his brother, a bishop there.
Stokes, George Henry, 1826-76
He had been a pupil of Scott and Moffatt between 1843-7 before joining Paxton in 1847 to assist him with his architectural work, including Mentmore Towers in Buckinghamshire and Lismore Castle in Ireland. He married Paxton’s daughter Emily in 1853. But he was in poor health and retired from practice when Paxton died, withdrawing from the St Pancras competition. He died in 1876 and is buried in Edensor churchyard, where he lies under a beautiful polished red granite coped ledger stone of the type that Scott had designed for his sister at Rigsby.
Street, George Edmund, 1824-81
Street was born at Woodford, Essex, and at an early age acquired an interest in medieval architecture. In 1841 he was articled to Owen Carter of Winchester, where in the cathedral city he was able to further his interest in old buildings, particularly as Carter was an illustrator of antiquarian books. As an architect Carter had designed some Gothic churches, but his best known building was the classical Corn Exchange in Winchester which he built after Street had left his office. Thus Sreet was already qualified when he entered Scott's office to work on the design for St Nicholas, Hamburg. The fact that Scott was able to attract young architects to his office who were anxious to build in Gothic style, is a clear indication of the extent that he was becoming known for the quality of his work in that style. The upsurge of German nationalism would mean that a Gothic design would stand a good chance, and Street, with his knowledge and enthusiasm for the style, as Edwin Nash who gave him a letter of introduction would have pointed out, would be a great asset to Scott in the competition. In fact Scott was so impressed with Street’s abilities that he whisked him off to Avenue Road to work out the scheme, ‘under his eye’. At the start Street had no guarantee of employment for more than a few weeks, but in the end he stayed with Scott for five years until 1849.
Street started taking on his own work while still employed by Scott including several restorations and a new church at Par in Cornwall, very close to Moffatt's restoration at St. Blazey. He started the church in 1847, two years before he left Scott to set up on his own and became one of the leaders of the Gothic Revival, even, many consider, outshining Scott. This probably explains Scott's somewhat terse comment, made in 1864, that with his Hamburg drawings Street came out ‘now for the first time to my observation, in the prominent way which has since characterised him’.
On the strength of his few days in northern Italy, in 1851, Scott delivered a lecture at the annual meeting of the Ecclesiological Society in 1855 which was published in the June number of The Ecclesiologist. In this he refers to Street's study of Italian brick architecture, which was the result of a month-long tour of Italy that Street made in 1853 and was published early in 1855 as Brick and Marble in the Middle Ages: Notes of Tours in the North of Italy. In the final chapter, Street makes an analysis of the difference between Italian and English Gothic architecture, particularly noticing the harmful effects of the persistence of the round-headed arch on Italian work, but he is enthusiastic about the effect of different coloured materials on the buildings that he saw. He urges English architects, with the vast range of materials at their command, to look at the way that colour can be used to give structural expression to their work, and he refers them to the coloured measured drawings of details, usually incorporating brickwork, in the book. Here Street provided the architects of the Gothic Revival with a new source of ideas, with special emphasis on brickwork, perhaps more useful in an industrialised Britain, than the established source-books, such as Pugin, with their emphasis on native building. Street acknowledges help from Ruskin's Stones of Venice and says that he used Murray's Handbook of Northern Italy as his guide, but makes no mention of having consulted Scott before he set out, which seems surprising as he was intending to travel much the same route that Scott and Ferrey had taken just two years earlier. Perhaps Scott felt some resentment that he was forty years-of-age before he could undertake the trip, while Street was still only in his twenties. There was never any clear rift between the two men, but judging by the tone of his remarks about Street, Scott seems slightly upset that having first helped him, Street then moved away from Scott's form of Gothic architecture and achieved some remarkable successes, culminating with his appointment to the Oxford diocese at the age of twenty-six.
Scott was obviously determined not to be out-shone by his former assistant, and it is perhaps significant that although he gave a short paper in 1855, Scott describes Siena Cathedral and discusses Genoa at considerable length, perhaps inferring that their details could have an important role in the Revival. Street was not able to go to either Siena or Genoa. Two years later, in 1857, when Scott published the first edition of his Remarks on Secular & Domestic Architecture, he drew heavily on his experiences in Italy, particularly in the section on ‘Buildings in Towns’. Here, he felt, there were lessons to be learnt from ‘the land of street-palaces’.
Street’s design for the Law Courts in 1867, which Scott felt ‘a poor plan’, ‘unworthy of his talent and had evidently been much hurried’, won the competition, beating his old master although Scott stated ‘I heartily wish him the highest success’. Numerous alterations and disputes meant that work on the new Law Courts did not start until May 1874. The same year, with Scott as President, the Institute offered the Royal Gold Medal to Street in the face of Ruskin's rejection of it. Scott siad that the Institute ‘may go the length of congratulating ourselves on having been led by force of circumstances to better choice than we had at first made’. Perhaps he was trying to assure Street that he was not a second-best substitute and said that when he went to the original Council meeting that chose Ruskin, his intention had been to propose Street. However Street did not come to the Institute to receive his medal. His wife had just died after a short illness and, as Scott said, Street had ‘deputed his valued friend and ours, Mr Pearson, to receive it in his name’.
After Scott's death, Street designed the brass to be laid over Scott’s grave. The uncovering of the brass took place on 13 July 1881 with Irvine present. After he saw it he said that it was ‘most unworthy of Mr Street’s handywork. The office boy I think at Spring Gardens would have designed a better [one]’. Later that year and less than one year before the opening of what had proved to be his finest building, the Law Courts, Street died on 18 December 1881 at the age of fifty-seven. Two days later Charles Baker King wrote a mournful letter to Irvine saying that Street ‘did not long survive his old master Sir Gilbert. I had always looked forward to him becoming Sir Edmund’. The Law Courts had brought Street acclaim and honours, but is generally agreed that they also killed him. He too, was buried in Westminster Abbey.
Turner, Hugh Thackeray, 1853-1937
Hugh Thackeray Turner had first been articled to Scott but in November 1878 he departed from John to go to George Gilbert junior’s office as chief assistant. In February 1883 he left there to become the first salaried Secretary of SPAB where, of course, he was in constant touch with Morris. He was a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1870.
Vickers, Nathaniel W., -
Vickers was Scott’s able assistant’ at St Andrews, Plymouth, in 1873-5 and also clerk of works at Lichfield Cathedral after George Clarke. In 1872-3 he stayed in Stowford village for two years to superintend the church restoration there and travelled around north Cornwall and Devon to find details of bench ends for Hems to carve.
Walker, Henry, 1844-1922
Walker was a pupil of Scott’s for two years before becoming his assistant between 1867-9. He was involved in the foundation of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club in 1866 and elected an honorary member in 1867. He then returned to practice in Leeds in 1869.
Walton, Alfred Armstrong, 1816-83
Walton first worked for builders including Gressel and Peto in around 1837 before he became articled to an architect in 1844. Between 1845-63 he was in Scott’s employment. In 1861-2, he was clerk of works at Brecon and stayed there, from 1863 commencing a business there before returning to London in 1875. He was concerned about workers housing and was deputy chairman of the Artisans, Labourers and General Dwelling Company, founded in 1867.
Weatherley, William Samuel, 1851-1922
He was a pupil of Scott’s in 1867-72, then becoming an assistant. In 1877, he helped Scott research decoration for Salisbury Cathedral. He was a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1872.
White, William, 1825-1900
Sketches of St John's Cathedral, Newfoundland, from 1846, appear in Scott’s own hand, which he would then hand over to his assistants for development. One of these was William White, the son of the curate of Blakesley, near Wappenham, whose father was a friend of Scott's father, and where Scott had built the parsonage in 1839. He entered Scott's office as an assistant in 1845 but only stayed two years. He met Street there, and the two men became firm friends, with White following the same architectural ideas that Street and Bodley were also developing at the ‘Spring Gardens Academy’. White left Scott in 1847, Street in 1849, and Bodley in 1850; so perhaps it is not unexpected that without these strong-minded proponents of the muscular style to both help him in his works and to influence his thinking, Scott should revert to his earlier picturesque style.
Wood, Isiah, -
He was appointed clerk of works for St Nicholas's, Hamburg, after the death of Mortimer in 1849, and stayed on until it's completion in 1876.
Wyatt, John Drayton, 1820-91
In 1841, he joined Scott and Moffatt’s office as an assistant draughtsman and stayed on with Scott for many years after Moffatt’s departure. He carried out many drawings for Scott and made elaborate illustrations of Scott and others work for the journal Civil Engineer and Architects Journal. By Jackson's time he was away from the office restoring the castle and chapel at Sudeley in Gloucestershire in 1863-7. After 1867, he relinquished his office work and eventually becoming diocesan architect for Bath and Wells.